Thursday, April 8, 2010

OPI Matte Review



I approved a comment this morning asking about my favorite nail polish, which is ironic because I logged in today to review a polish I just got.

I went to Ulta in search of this lacquer specifically. It is OPI Matte Nail Lacquer in Gargantuan Green Grape. I was excited for this color because it was described as "green kissed by the summer sun". I loved it on the OPI website and on the hand. And I loved that you can wear it matte or add a top coat to make it glossy.

I tried out the polish as soon as I got home. According the the blurb on the bottle, you should not apply a base coat, top coat, or drying product to this lacquer. So I removed my old polish, washed, and applied the first coat. It dried AMAZINGLY quick but extremely streaky. I applied another coat, thinking that I may have just not applied it neatly enough. After the second coat, it was still very streaky. I ended up applying a total of four coats and I'm still not happy with the finish.

I like the color after two coats but it's a bit too intense after four. I love the matte look and I think I will add a top coat to the tip of the nail for a two-toned look. I am definitely going to pick up the Alpine Snow color because the thought of a matte, white nail just makes me extremely happy.

Rating this polish is difficult because of the "streakiness". I definitely recommend everyone try it because of the versatility of the matte/glossy option. I think the next time I use it I will have to spend a lot of time buffing and prepping my nails to make sure they are perfect prior to applying.

x's and o's!

No comments: