Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Designing Systems Furniture

Currently, I am at work and designing a custom systems furniture... uhh system. I often have people ask me what systems furniture is, so I thought I would share a little bit here.
Everyone has seen systems furniture at some point, and if not in person, they have seen it in movies. Basically they are individual workstations that are separated by different types of modesty panels. Stereotypically, they are called cubicles. But these systems have evolved in the past five or six years into more organic profiles. Below I will share a couple of interesting systems that I really love.



Resolve System by Herman Miller.








Hum by Kimball.










Avenir by Steelcase.







Occasionally, we come across a system that we love and want to use but it does not have some components we need. This could be a particular height of worktop, certain acoustical properties in a panel, a lack of a panel at all, etc. This is when we take the layouts for the existing system that we like and we begin altering it.
For example, the Resolve System by Herman Miller is quite extraordinary and the system is nearly perfect for a project I am on. However, we need the panels to go completely to the floor and the worktops to have modesty below; instead of the legs that supports it currently. There is no other system that meets the idea of this system, especially the canopy option. So I take the plan and start making these changes to the drawings. Then I detail the drawing with notes and dimensions. Once the drawing is documented, we will send it to furniture dealers to get a specification written and estimated that has every aspect of the system we designed. This is how we designers get exactly how we want out of a furniture system. ;)
x's and o's

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wanted to comment on your beauty favorites page but couldn't figure out how to.
what is your fav nail polish? do you do your nails yourself or have them done?

courtney {splendid actually} said...

Hello Anonymous :)
I usually do my own nails but I do go about once every other month and have a manicure. My favorite polish is China Glaze. I typically wear shade of pink. Right now, my favorite polish is Lively Lilac by Sally Hansen in their Insta-Dry form.

Mimi Collett said...

I remember you talking at my house about organizing the office. Now I understand a bit more what you meant. :)