Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fruity

Fruitarianism is a new lifestyle that I'm strongly considering. There are many reason's but first I want to explain a little bit about it. I will post the links to the websites below.

Fruitarianism is a nutrition system that is composed of only raw fruits and seeds. Because of it's nutritive contents and it's appeal, fruit is the only food group that can completely satisfy our taste, vitamins and proteins. (Of course, if you don't like fruit, it would not appeal to you. But I do not know many people that dislike fruit.)

Fruitarians consider cooked food harmful to our bodies, causing mood swings, cravings, and diseases. By eating only raw fruit, the fruitarian is free from all bad consequences of cooked food addiction, including all the violence against all forms of life and he/she will not be contaminated by the poisons of the flesh from dead animals. Fruitarians participate in the nature way of propagating life, spreading the seeds of fruits without killing any form of life, unlike vegetables.

Besides being completly moral, fruitarians also experience a detox when changing lifestyles. I've normally been opposed to detox's because of the sideaffects. However, with the fruit detox, it is very mild in young adults, even more mild in teenagers, and completely absent from children. Post-detox sideaffects include imporved eyesight, better sense of smell and taste, fresh breath, decreased body odor, strong growth of hair and nails, greater concentration and focus. All of these sound pretty good to me!

A couple of the websites list out a plan to start with, naming certain fruits to be better in the morning, some in the evening, etc. Then, once you have gotten used to the new lifestyle, you can base the fruits you eat on what your body wants. Another notable thing about fruitarianism is the eating schedule. They recommend that only one fruit be eaten at a time, with at least 90 minutes between switching fruits. They also say that to eat as often as needed however, it's important to be able to listen to what your body wants. Is it truly hungry? Am I full?


I find this to be very interesting and I think that I will definitely give it a try. It is difficult since this means I will not often be able to eat out with friends. I think I will try it out, see how it works for me and then decide if I want to do it full time. It may be that I do it for about a month or so, go back to other foods and just do the fruit detox every four months or so. We'll see!
Sources:



3 comments:

Mimi Collett said...

You'll definitely have to keep us posted on how that works out. You're lucky to live in this day and age, because in Indiana, I don't think there are any fresh fruits locally year round! I guess they don't have to be fresh though. Just not cooked, right? So, if you canned it in the fall and ate it through the winter it would still work. I assume from the name it is just fruits, and I wonder if there is another system that includes grains and vegetables. I would do better with that one, because I actually don't really enjoy eating most fruits. I love vegetables though! Keep us posted on this. :)

Anonymous said...

I have heard of other people doing this but it seems strange to me. I couldn't give up other foods.

courtney {splendid actually} said...

Update: I decided to try to eat fruit for two days straight and see how my body liked it. I was pleseantly surprised that it went well. I ate as much fruit and nuts as I wanted, keeping 90 minutes between foods, and never felt hungry. The only thing I really missed was drinking tea or coffee, but even that wasn't too difficult. I just missed the idea of not having a cup as I checked my morning emails.
Because I have so many things coming up in the close future, I decided to hold off on starting this detox until summer. It is difficult to visit with people and not be able to eat with them, grab dinner or coffee, etc. I'm going to block out two weeks this summer and designate it "Courtney Time". I will do the detox, read books I have wanted to start reading, do some things by myself, and just enjoy being me. :)