Thursday, May 27, 2010

Moving on... Again.

This past week has been completely packed, in more ways than one. Moving, planning a baby shower, and preparing for camping all at one time is a little much to add to my already busy schedule.

I know, I know. Boohoo. I'm not the type of person who likes to have something to do at every second of the day. I relish in my me-time. I like to be able to spend time doing what I want (reading, catching up on my YouTube subscriptions since I do not have tv, organizing my desk, cleaning). So when I say I have a busy schedule, it includes doing all of those things that I want to do.
After I came to the realization last week that I had to be out of my current apartment on the same day I would be returning from a long weekend camping trip, I started going a little crazy. Moving is one of those things that I like to take time to organize and plan. However, I didn't have time to do that. I started deciding right away when I had to do things and I realized I would have to move this week and be out of the apartment by Thursday night (tonight) because we are leaving directly after work Friday (tomorrow) and electric will be disconnected Friday.

Starting Saturday, I began packing all of my things. Sunday we moved some of my large furniture like the dining table and my desk. It's complicated because I'm not taking much of the furniture to the new apartment, some of the things belong to my sister, some to my parents, and some to my grandparents. It was important to seperate all of these things into the necessary piles.
The other important thing was keeping in mind that I would be staying at my parents for about two weeks. I needed to keep out my work clothes, some casual clothes, and keep camping clothes packed up in a different place. I like to have options when it comes to dressing and it is very difficult for me to plan for two weeks worth of outfits, not to mention the makeup, jewelry, and hair tools that I had to decide what to do with. What can be packed for two weeks? Will it melt? Do I need it for camping? Will I have room for it at my parents?

Yesterday was the first day that I felt I had things under control. I have been packing up things as I finish with them and taking them to storage this week. The plan for today was to move my dresser, nightstand, makeup cart, and bed out tonight. I also have to clear out the refrigerator and quickly clean the entire place. Also tonight I need to make some food for camping that we offered to bring and I need to have all of the camping supplies gathered in one spot so Kyle can load up the car after school tomorrow. I was relying heavily on Kyle's assistance with everything since my brother has to work, my dad has back problems, and Pop isn't supposed to lift anything over like 30 pounds. Kyle then let me know last night that he would be unavailable because he was invited to a Reds game in Cincy. Grrr...

I know that I will get everything finished. I just feel frustrated that I won't have much help. And really I just wanted someone to be there to make me feel more confident about getting everything done. HOWEVER, I will do it on my own and then feel proud that I can be independent.

Along those same lines, I was able to really reflect last night on my first-time-living-alone experience. I had vinyl letters above my bed that I had to peel off. I'll attach a photo. As I was peeling them off, I started thinking about how I have been an example of this exact phrase. I feel like a completely different person than I was a year ago. Having to make my own choices and kind of figure things out myself, I have become much more confident. I feel like I have experienced so much and learned so many things by trial and error- or trial and success -which really makes me feel good.





















After peeling off half of the phrase, I really thought about the person I have become.






















And what I finally realized is in the last photo...






















until next time... x's and o's!

1 comment:

Mimi Collett said...

That's really cool, C!

And wow! That is a really complicated moving experience. It sounds like you had everything really organized though. I hope it went well. I'm excited to see your new place.

I loved your epiphany and the photos of the letters on the wall. It is amazing what we can think of when we do have that me-time where all the other noises of the day are quiet.