Saturday, October 25, 2008

Off to Jasper

This week came with some exciting news. Thursday and Friday I went on [my first] business trip. Myself, along with my boss and co-worker and a group of decision makers from Taylor University, traveled to Salem and Jasper, IN to visit a furniture company. We went to a manufacturing plant, a showroom, testing lab, and the headquarters. It was really fun to see those things, as well as extremely educational as a new designer. It really helps me to familiarize myself with the line and the company. The trip was actually for Taylor; they are looking to standardize on a furniture company. This basically means that all furniture needed for the university would be purchased with the selected company. From the Purchasing Director's standpoint, it makes things a lot less complicated because he only has to keep up on one company and only has to deal with one distributor. The group will also travel to another furniture company's showroom in Grand Rapids, MI. It is unsure as of this time if I will be able to tag along on this trip. It would be really fun though because they will be flying on a private jet directly to the company's private runway. :) That would be exciting.

While visiting the furniture company was exciting and educational, the most fun part was a stop that we made at West Baden. I had never been before but it is beautiful. It has to be one of the most extravagant buildings I have ever seen first hand. I am including a photo below but I will try to upload the ones that I took later today. It is a hotel with restaurants, gardens, and a golf course. We were fortunate enough to have lunch in the cafe and it was heaven! I couldn't get over the fact that it is in Indiana.

No comments: